Thursday 12 August 2010

9th August

I was teaching the younger ones again today and I decided that I would have to explain to them that I would soon be leaving. Despite their limited English, I did manage to get the message across to them which was met by a rather sad response - some of the girls actually had tears in their eyes. However, the mention of a party on my last day seemed to cheer most of them up! One of the girls in second class then decided to give me a drawing she had done for me, which was very sweet of her - but then of course all the others wanted to do the same and were ripping pages and pages out of their school drawing books, which I am sure will not go down that well when they have their next drawing class! It was very nice of them and I think things like these will be the best souvenirs I could possibly take home from this country. Last week there was also a day called Friendship Day where they all give their friends a friendship bracelet (ribbon) and so many of them were tying them around my wrists - although many had been cut for their friends so would not fit around my fat wrists so I ended up with so many tied around my fingers - again such nice things to be able to take back with me.

In the evening we wandered around the Delhi golf club, which is such an interesting place - so many very old monuments right in the middle of the club that are hundreds of years old. I was also shown some of Gary's photos that he has taken in many countries with his TB work, and they really were brilliant photos, many of which actually really got to me. When you see these people and what they are going through day by day it really does mark you, and is just adding to my enthusiasm to go into the development field in one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment