Thursday 1 July 2010

July 1st - arrived safely

There were no major panics with the journey over here and arrived into Delhi airport at 11am local time, after having no sleep due to the lack of leg room - far from comfortable! Then had to explain to a taxi man where I wanted to go and he was far from helpful arguing that the address was wrong! However, after 1.5 hours in a non AC cab in 40 degree heat we finally arrived where I shall be staying. I met the two main people that are in charge of the project, both seem very passionate about what they are doing, and they have decided to assign me to English speaking classes as of tomorrow, which I am slightly nervous about seeing that I thought I would have the weekend to think of what I want to do in lessons!

I went to have a look at the centre, and after dodging cattle, dogs and "waste" we arrived at the centre to see the girls being taught (government schools are so crowded they teach girls in the morning and boys in the afternoon) - the state of the place was shocking despite me expecting the worst, however they have small classes and the children seemed happy enough. I had a good chat with the man that runs the project and he highlighted the extent of the problems in Indian education and that they are using books that the British used over 100 years ago - tough task ahead then!

Not much else to say really other than I am knackered so will head off to bed very soon - will post again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment