Wednesday 21 July 2010

July 21st

Today was great fun at the centre. The 4 French volunteers are leaving on Saturday to travel around Rajasthan so threw two parties - one at the Okhla centre and the other at the Women Centre.

There were biscuits, soft drinks, games, a lot of music and a lot of dancing going on! I have taken some really good photos and videos from the day, but again I forgot my cable so I will have to wait a while before I put them up on here or facebook but keep an eye out for them. Although I took a lot of pictures, I was not allowed to stand at the side observing the whole time, the children made sure that I would join them in the dancing! They even got me attempting Bhangra style dancing, and my poor attempts and lack of rhythm clearly amused them - at least they had a laugh! It was great to see them all having fun and expressing themselves, and there are some really good little dancers in the project. I did make the mistake of lifting one of the girls to the ceiling and then of course all of them wanted a go. In the heat it wasn't the easiest task to say the least!

Interestingly, it took them a while to realise that they could do what they wanted to do and did not need instructions - I suppose again this just illustrates how these children live at home and study at school. Once they started dancing there was no stopping them and they laughed and laughed the whole time, which was such a nice sight and I felt very happy to be involved. These kids are amazing and I feel I am developing a really good rapport with them more and more everyday, which makes everything all the more fun. It is like I have found 100 new little brothers and sisters!

Here are some pictures from the party:






















On a more negative note (yes all of these blogs seem to have some negative element - I make no apologies for this!) I was forwarded another article about the CW Games, which again highlighted the horrible scenes that are going on to make this city look "beautiful" to all the visitors arriving in October. I will allow you to form your own opinion and will not go on yet another rant, but please take a look at it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-10696792

No comments:

Post a Comment