Thursday 8 July 2010

July 8

I really enjoyed today. Rather than using flash cards, I tried using a pop up book version of The Wheels on the Bus. The idea was that we would read it together, do the actions, and then I would ask them questions about it to see if they understood. It took a while but most classes got the hang of it eventually!

What I have found really useful to keep their attention is making them move around rather than just sitting there, and also praising them a lot when they get things right. Today, whenever each person wanted to speak they had to stand up and when they got it right the whole class clapped - it was only then that I got 100% attention as each of them wanted the chance to stand up! Also, we learnt the words up, down, forward, back, left, right, in and out. Getting them to stand up, sit down, shuffle forward and back etc was a good laugh and they all really enjoyed it. I was also quite proud of myself and the children that they managed to teach me the Hindi words for up, down, forward, back, right and left - not sure how to spell them though so won't try!

I have not really had the chance to take pictures as yet of my trip, so it was nice today that one of the teachers came round taking a lot of pictures with the different groups to put on the website and send to those who are sponsoring the project. May try to put some on facebook soon if I can get hold of the files on this computer -look out for them! I am also planning to spend my weekend having a look around Delhi as I have not had the chance as yet so plenty of pictures hopefully.

One thing I am concerned about is the class 2 children - they are so hard to discipline and teach as they really do not have much of a base in English - I feel I have tried so much but am not getting anywhere - any ideas would be greatly appreciated! It is also quite frustrating that a few of the class 2 girls are very bright, and I feel they could really progress well, but they are being hindered by my inability to bring the others up to the same level. Hopefully in the time I am here I can at least make some progress with them! I also feel I am running out of material at the project to use with them - going to have to use my creative side...not great at that as many will know! Again any suggestions would be brilliant...

I do not want to use this blog as a direct source of fund raising but in case anyone is interested, we have been thinking of a possible scheme to raise money for those special case children that are in the boarding school that I talked about on a previous blog. The project currently has sponsors that sponsor a child to go through the school but this is 85 quid a month, which is a bit much to ask from people! However, there are often extra things that are needed when the uniform needs replacing or they need a new bag, or when fees rise due to inflation etc - so rather than sponsoring an individual, we thought we could set up a system whereby people can donate whatever they want to go into a pool of funds for all 7 of the children in the boarding school (each with their own amazing story that I would circulate to those interested). This would really help especially given the rising prices that India faces - for example food inflation is around 25% at present. It was just a thought.

That is all for today - not very insightful or exciting but I enjoyed my day!

Hope everyone is enjoying their summers x

No comments:

Post a Comment